Optimal bone health is crucial in maintaining good quality of life at any age especially in females.
Osteoporosis is a serious systemic skeletal disease causing low bone density, thereby resulting in weak fragile bones with increased risk of fracture.
Bone resorption is more with increasing age and with loss of estrogen in post-menopausal women, making them more susceptible to fractures.
This is often overlooked and under-treated disease, patient may directly present with fracture.
The good news is there are preventive measures like :
- Balanced diet with sufficient calcium and vitamin D, and supplements wherever needed.
- Weight bearing and muscle strengthening exercises.
- Avoiding smoking and alcohol.
- Educating the teens to build up strong bones.
- Annual testing of bone density by simple test called Dexa scan after menopause.
Let us work towards a healthy society.